Are warped rotors considered "worn" for warranty purposes

I have a 2003 Maxima. At about 17,000 miles I took the car into the dealer complaining of vibration when using the brakes. I was told that the front rotars were warped and had to be turned. I questioned whether the rotors might be defective as I had had two previous Maximas with over 40,000 miles and never had any brake problems. The service rep said that brakes were considered a "wear" item by Nissan and were not covered by the warranty. I paid to have the rotors turned but the vibration is back at 27,000 miles. The service rep said that there was still enough metal left to turn them again if I wanted or I could get new front brakes for $400 - still claims that Nissan won't cover it. I'm inclined to have the brakes replaced but don't think I should have to pay. I looked at the warranty and it says that Nissan won't replace "worn" brake parts. It seems to me that warping is not normal wear and that Nissan should pay for the replacement of my brakes. Anyone agree? If so, do I have a chance of getting Nissan to cover it?

Thanks John

Reply to
John Richards

JimV

Try to read this

Greg

I highly doubt it.. .

Reply to
Steve T

But Nissan vehicles seem to have chronic rotor warping problems. Seems to me that owners of these vehicles should get together and hire a lawyer.

noneyabusiness

I had a set half-price out of GM a few years ago on a car with

Reply to
Andy Champ

No such thing as warped brake disks.

It's how you (ab)use them that's the cause. Brakes have changed over the last 20 years from asbestos to metal loaded materials. There have been more changes in the last few years to reduce dust. They are now more like racing brakes and need the same bedding in. If your usage (pad and disc temperature) is outside what the maker has designed them for you will have problems.

Mainly caused by transfer of material from pad to disc. Dragging brakes, needs interim maintenance to apply more lube to caliper sliding pins, back and thrust faces of pad to avoid any binding. Holding the brake on at a junction after a stop that has heated the pad and disk is also a known cause. Apply the parking brake (should be on cooler rear brakes or better yet a separate drum inside the hub of a rear disc) and release the service brake.

30 years ago you could expect the disc to outlast 3 or more sets of pads. It's becoming normal to change pad and disc at the same time as new pad materials wear both pad and disc.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Read both links and learned a lot - thanks.

Got a bit defensive with the suggestion that I have "(ab)used" the brakes. This is my fifth new car with disk brakes, each of the previous four having been driven for over 40,000 miles with NO brake problems and NO brake repairs. I tend to be very easy on the brakes, downshifting when going down steep hills and slowing gradually when anticipating a stop... I do pump the brakes at times with the belief that they will not heat up as much - could this cause the problem described in the above links? If I am at fault in creating the condition I have no problem paying for new rotors and pads. If I'm not at fault, I still think that there is a design or installation problem with either the OEM rotors or maybe with the OEM pads for which Nissan should be held responsible. Any comments?

Thanks John

Reply to
John Richards

FYI, Nissan is and has been turning rotors on Titans under warranty. Perhaps because judder has been such a widespread problem on the trucks. Nissan plans to issue a TSB which is basically an upgrade kit for thicker rotors. Check out Titantalk.com for details if desired.

Reply to
Butch Davis