auto-lock hub noise

I've got an 89 D21 Hardbody V6 4x4. On mornings after sitting in the cold all night (during winter) I often hear a grinding noise coming from the front hubs (I think) once I start driving. When I come to a stop, the grinding slows down and makes kind of a thud sound. Usually after this intially grinding/thud, the sound does not come back.

My theory is that because of the cold, the gear oil in the transfer case is so thick that even though 4x4 is not engaged, the front axles are somehow partially engaged?? but the the hubs are not? The only solution I have found to the problem is to engage 4x4 right from the getgo and run it like this for 10 minutes or so, to warm things up, then disengage. This isn't ideal because I don't like to run 4x4 when the streets are dry, or at high speeds etc. Any thoughts out there? Does it sound like my hubs are wearing out and need replaced or maybe just greased? Should I switch to a lighter weight gear oil in the winter? Would switching to the manual locking type hubs be a better option?

Thanks,

jon

Reply to
edwards151

It could just be the hubs needing regreased... Actually the gear oil in the front axle has nothing to do with the hubs, so you're ok there, use what is called for on the gear oil.

With the age on the hubs it could also be that the o-rings that seal the hub area are bad and have let some water in and it froze. So in any event, order 2 new o-rings and repack the front hubs.

Here's the o-ring Nissan part number for the auto hubs on my '95 Pathfinder but it should be the same for yours as well: 40262-50W00 They were around $8 or so for the pair (they are sold each).

Let us know how you make out,

Wil

Reply to
Truck