Is replacing my hubs a direct swap-in?

I just bought a '76 CJ5 and here's a picture of my hubs:

'm wanting to get something like this:
it as easy as ordering the hubs, then unbolting the 6 bolts thathold the old ones I have now in place, and then bolting the new onesin? If so, is there a better choice for replacement manual lockinghubs for my '76 CJ-5? I just want to be able to decouple the wheelsfrom the axles to reduce drivetrain wear when not using 4WD. Thankyou.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I think that there is a snap ring inside the dust cap that you have to deal with first, but yeah, changing the hubs is a pretty simple upgrade. Lots of people like Warn hubs "just because."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:55:24 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

OK, it looks to me like Warn part number 9062 is what I'd need for a '76 CJ5. I just called Advance Auto Parts locally and gave them Warn's part number. They said $139.99 which I guess isn't too bad... I'd assume that part # 9062 would be for a PAIR of the hubs and not just one. I asked the guy at Advance Auto and he said he thinks it's just for one. Does that sound right to y'all? Thanks.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

That better be for a pair. If not, you need to find them elsewhere.

In fact, here's a brand new pair on EBay for $75

Chris

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:42:36 GMT, "c" shared the following:

SWEET! I just bought them. :-) THANKS!!!

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Glad to help. I think I've seen every Jeep auction on EBay as I am trying to locate a Wrangler or CJ to buy and there just isn't anything for sale in my area. I missed out on a beautiful CJ7 last week that was for sale in town, but it was sold by the time I got there. This thing was completely torn down and gone through and was exactly what I was looking for other than color, but I would have definitely lived with it. The guy had it for sale for less than a full day. It's getting frustrating for sure.

Chris

Warn #9062 is the one you want (6 bolt hubs). The kit includes two hubs, not one. 4WD hardware sells them for $110.95, so I'd get them from the website.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Yes, unbolt the current hub and set the new ones in place and bolt them down.

Reply to
CRWLR

I like my SuperWinch Hubs alot.

Your front hubs look to be set up to leave the front axles locked all the time.

Decoupling the front hubs is highly overrated. I leave my hubs locked about

99% of the time. Invariably, within a few hours of driving time after setting the hubs to 2WD (4x2 on the Superwinch hubs), I must climb out and set them back to 4x4. I leave them in 4x4 for months on end.

Reply to
CRWLR

Where are you located? I know of a CJ7 that is for sale. I don't know what condition it is in, but it looks pretty good on the drive-by.

Reply to
CRWLR

You *do* run the risk of more diff gear wear that way. Not that it's a big deal. With my recent front end swap, I overfilled the pumpkin with gear oil. I left the hubs engaged, and someone came in to tell me that my rig was leaking real bad. The gear oil had "boiled over" and spurted out the vent, then dripped down my fender and frame.

So I disengage 'em when I'm on these dry California highways.

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:40:22 -0700, "CRWLR" shared the following:

They are.

It just seems like it makes sense to me that if they are unlocked you'll save on driveline wear and gas mileage. I plan on going offroading at least 3-4 times a month in my Jeep, but only for a couple of hours at a time. I think the manual locking hubs will be a good investment for me. Travis

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Northern WI.

Chris

Interested in a quick ride out to the Left Coast? ;-)

Reply to
CRWLR

Yes, they probably will be. They are not required though. That is all. I only make it a point to unlock my hubs when I know that I am getting ready to go on the freeway for a long time. For a quick trip into town, I don't bother with them, and frequently the trip home involves the Scenic Route, where I just have to get out and lock them again anyway. :-)

Reply to
CRWLR

Actually it might come to that if I can't find anything here, but if it does, I'll be waiting until I need a break from the cold, or use it as an excuse to pick up my visitor that will be coming here from New Zealand this winter. I don't have a problem traveling for the right vehicle.

Chris

The only problem with that strategy is that you won't know if it is the "right vehicle" until you get here.

Reply to
CRWLR

This is true. but I guess if it wasn't the right one, at least I could look around for others out there for a day or two. It amazes me that there aren't more Jeeps for sale here, but like I said, I think people that have them are keeping them. I see quite a few around, just not for sale. Most of the ones that are for sale here are either rotted out beyond belief, or the prices are nuts. One of the last ones I looked at was an 87 Wrangler with the 4 banger and 200K miles on it. The body was decent, but the hard top and interior were trashed. The dealer was asking $4000 for this thing! The scary thing is that it was sold within a week. I don't know what it sold for, but knowing the guy that runs the stealership, I bet he got $3500 or close to it.

Chris