Car wont start, clicks once. Full charge/Jump Start no win.

Ok so ive read probably 1000 issues similar to mine and I want to make sure of what I do before I try, considering my situation... Heres my story... Last year I noticed my car (usually in the mornings) would have a slugish startup, after about 3 days of this my car finally cut out while driving on the beltway @ 65 mph, I managed to get to the shoulder.. My brother came to give me a jump and it works, about 1 mile down the road it dies.. Jumping it only works untill I take the cables off then dies right away so I replace the alternator AND the battery.. ok so everything is sweet! Its like this for about a YEAR and suddenly my car is doing it again, with the slugish starts. Right now I have a battery and alternator thats less than 1 year old and my car wont start at all, even if I jump start it.

  1. Put in key turn to Acc. everything bursts into normal functioning order. Full brightness, dome light on, stereo comes on. (even before attemping a jump start, so it appears battery is at full charge)
  2. Turn ignition to start, ONE click sounds. But it isnt turning the engine, just one simple click.
  3. I dont have a volt meter so I dont have any way to test the actual voltage, but when I use any electronics it does not dim at any time during jumping or turning the key without jump start aid.

So what would you suggest I do in order? Im guessing from what I gathered abroad that its the starter/selinoid (which I understand is also hard to access). My car is stuck at the bottom of a pay to park garage so I would like to get it working asap.

Also 1 more thing to note, maybe its coincidence but the slugish starts happened about the same time I had a headunit cd player installed via best buy. Before that there wasnt a stereo at all. Also to note, I did try unplugging all fuses and uninstalling the headunit thinking maybe there was a short... Same thing as before so its most likely not the headunit.

Reply to
myztical_1

I'll bet you got one of those cheap auto store (autozone, advance, etc) "rebuilt" alternators, right? They don't usually last very long. It would help if you told us what your car is (other than a Nissan).

Reply to
JimV

Its an alternator I got from Pepboys, not sure of the brand, its a 94 nissan sentra 4 door, 1.6L.... Even though if it was the alternator, it would crank over with a jump start right? I got nothing

Reply to
myztical_1

Its an alternator I got from Pepboys, not sure of the brand, its a 94 nissan sentra 4 door, 1.6L.... Even though if it was the alternator, it would crank over with a jump start right? I got nothing

Reply to
myztical_1

Do your headlights work? How about with the jumper cables on? Do they stay on when you try to start it?

Reply to
JimV

Yes they work, everything is in working order. Stereo, headlights, dome lamp, horn. There is only a very, very slight dim when I try to crank it over, but they return to full bright. Even with or without having it jumped its the same reaction. 1 Click and it gives up. I bought a new starter/selinoid today but im going to wait to open it untill you guys might be able to help since Im not the most car savvy person. Thanks :)

Reply to
myztical_1

Back in the old days, a few raps with a hammer on the starter solenoid sometimes got the starter working again.

Reply to
willshak

Definitely the starter motor/solenoid or a bad connection to it.

Reply to
SteveB

Thats it. Replaced the starter and its golden now... I was going to do it myself, but after seeing where it was located it wouldnt be easy to access so I got a couple quotes, $55 dollars. So I let PepBoys put it on. Thanks

Reply to
myztical_1