Check Engine Light 95 Nissan PU

95 Nissan PU. My check engine light comes on at idle. Sometimes, if I gently press on the gas, there is a dead spot before the engine will pickup. Is there a way to find out what the computer thinks is wrong, other then take to some auto shop?
Reply to
Ook

Sign up for

- great hardbodytruck site.

Reply to
tomit

go to an auto zone or advanced auto parts and they will read the code for free. d.

Reply to
D.

Some of the Nissans have the ECU unit (computer) located under the passenger's front seat. Then to read that code you would need to turn your ingnition ON (but don't start the engine) and turn a screw on the side (of some) ECU units and hold it until the "check engine" indicator light begins to flash. You'd need to turn the screw (on the ones I've seen in the late

1990s) fully clockwise and hold it there - but only turn it gently. Then the check engine light will start to blink and you let go of the screw.

You may have either to 2 digit code or only the one digit code - but I think yours might be 2 digits. You need to count those flashes. There will be a pause between the 2 different numbers, first number and 2nd number. If you turn the ignition OFF - that should make it so you'll only see a regular check engine indicator when it restarts - no flashing. You can (if you have the right model) CLEAR that "Check Engine" completely when (with the ingition ON but the vehicle not running) turn the ECU adjustment (on some models) fully clockwise AFTER it has blinked for at least 4 complete series of the error code it's got. Of course - if the ERROR still exists, then your Check Engine light will turn on again pretty quickly. There are "Haynes" manuals in the parts store (at Pep Boys for sure) that will tell you exactly what problem you got if you know the right number of 'Blinks'. The Haynes books usually cost about $13.

Reply to
DunnoWho