Climate Control (I35)

Just bought a 2003 Infiniti I35.Today I engaged the (windshield) defroster for the first time and,as expected,the A/C went on.

I pressed the "econ" button,hoping that that would turn off the A/C but keep air flowing onto the windshield but....no luck.

In winter I like my "default" heat setting to be defroster with no A/C, which I was able to do with my 2000 Honda.

My question:is there a setting on my I35 for this (as with certain Hondas)? If not,is there a fuse I can pull in the winter to disable the A/C compressor but keep the rest of the system working?

Thanks to anyone who might reply!

Reply to
Wanderer

Your best bet is to use the windshield & floor setting on the manual controls. At least on my '97 that did not turn on the AC. I don't think there is any way to cut the AC from the windshield only setting.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Your only Nissan choice is heat to the windshield and floor simultaneously. Note that when it gets severely cold (< 20F), the system automatically directs some heat to the windshield even if you have the system set for all heat to the floor.

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
JimV

Shoot -- JimV is right. Below a certain temperature, the compressor automatically disengages when you choose defroster. I just don't recall what that temperature might be. Perhaps it's in our owners manuals.

Reply to
ppointer

Yes,I believe that the owner's manual mentions 27 degrees as the cutoff point for the compressor.I was hoping,though,to do it at any temp.

Who knows? I might ask around about the possibility of pulling one or more fuses.

Thanks!

Reply to
Wanderer

Read on a Chevy board that defroster activation of the AC is to keep the seals in the compressor lubricated during the off-season. Makes sense.

Reply to
HEY MOE!

"> Yes,I believe that the owner's manual mentions 27 degrees as the

My 626 AC cuts off at 32 deg F.

Reply to
Daniel

You need to run the a/c compressor 10 minutes every week or so, to keep the seals lubricated & prevent leaks. Don't disable the compressor in a manner that will discourage you from doing this, or it will be a very false economy that you are pursuing.

JM

Reply to
JM

AC also helps defrosts the windshield almost instantly, when the temp is above freezing point, compared to no AC and only heat.

Reply to
Daniel