Clutch/ignition switch?

I have a 1994 4WD extended cab 6 cyl, 88,500 miles. I'm the original owner.

About a month ago I found that sometimes the car would not turn over unless I let my foot ofdf the clutch and pushed it back in again. I thought that maybe the switch that the clutch activates letting the car start might be going bad. This morning, I had to push the clutch several times to get the car to turn over, leading me to believe (obviously) that whatever the problem is, it's getting worse.

Anybody else had this problem? Was it the switch that is activated by the clutch that lets the ignition work? If so, where is this switch located and how hard is it to replace.

If it may be something else, what should I be checking?

Thanks!

Reply to
Just me

JimV

Thanks.........but I'm also hoping to hear from someone who may have had a similar problem.

Reply to
Just me

It's probably not the switch, but the rubber pad on the clutch pedal arm that activates it. After a few years, the material deteriorates and stops activating the switch. On my 87 Pathfinder, there were actually TWO of them on the clutch, and one on the brake.

Get a couple of new ones; if one is going bad, the other one isn't far behind. Maybe you should even replace all three at the same time, since they're so cheap. You can find them by following the arm up from the pedal; they're up a little more than halfway from the pedal to the pivot point under the dash.

These pads just "plug in" to holes in the pedal arm. The replacement ones are made of nylon, not rubber, and should last a long time.

Reply to
Larry Kessler

Reply to
B.McNeill

I believe you and I are having the same problem with our vehicles. Mine has been covered under "1991 Pathfinder Starter Problem". In retrospect I should have entitled my post, "1991 Pathfinder Starting Problem".

I have not yet sorted it out. Of course, it's too infrequent for me to really know yet.

-- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

Thanks for the info, and reference to the other thread. I missed that one. I'll post back when I figure out what the problem actually was. But since it doesn't happen all the time, it may take a while to know if I've got it fixed.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Just me