Datsun B210

Anyone remember these? This was the first "Nissan" I ever drove... We had two in our family. Unless you hit a tree or it rusted away, it was very reliable.

I've since had an 1989 Sentra that went 300,000+ miles before rusting away - The tow hooks even fell off!

Now I'm inheriting a 1990's Sentra... And getting rid of my 1995 Saturn SL1. Once I find out the year and exact model, I'll post and ask questions about it and what to watch out for.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Help Cure Cancer:

Joe

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:09:38 GMT, "Joe" graced this newsgroup with:

We have a 99 Sentra GXE Limited Edition. Of all the 90's era Sentras, it was the only one with a decent rating. The 98 and 00 Sentras had electrical and mechanical problems. Nothing *serious* mind you. You won't regret getting a non-99, but apparently the 99's had some changes that made the car a little more reliable than the 98's.

The one we've had has been rock solid. But alas, our daughter wanted a larger car so we we're going to put it up for sale soon.

Reply to
amstaffs

Interesting. Didn't know this. I have the same car. at 130K miles, mine has developed a serious oil leak which seems to be the main oil seal at the crank by the belts. Looks to be a 200-300 dollar job. I guess the last owner wasn't too religious with the oil changes, or it's a bug in these sentras.

Anyway, on the 99 limited edition, you may find that it is remote capable. I tested it with my wife's remote and then bought one of these;

Car's been keyless ever since.

Despite the oil issue I have, I still think its a good car.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:38:03 -0400, Codifus graced this newsgroup with:

The car has a remote. I had to order a new fob and reprogram it but it's worked fine. Only works to lock/unlock/arm the car (no trunk release) but the limited edition was pretty loaded anyway.

As for the oil leak..yeah we had the same problem. Rear oil seal. Our neighborhood mechanic said it's a common problem with the Sentras of that vintage. About $400 to replace. That was the only real problem we ever had with the car. And since it has a timing chain, there's no real fear of a belt breaking and the engine seizing up.

Reply to
amstaffs

Yours was the rear oil seal, the one between the engine and tranny? Mine is in front between the engine and belts. I wonder if that suggests that my other seal is about to go too? Better not be.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:49:46 -0400, Codifus graced this newsgroup with:

probably not, but it might be a good idea to have it looked at while it's up on the lift.

Reply to
amstaffs

My first new car was a B210, metallic brown(?), 4 dr sedan, 4speed stick no OD, RWD. Fantastically tight, nary a squeak nor a rattle ever.

Always delivered 33 mpg whether around town or xway, never burned oil, the the oil was always clean looking at OC time.

Never had a car as well built and as good running before or after this one. Had to sell it after owning it about a year due to financial difficulties. I'd have taken it back in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Bob H

Hi guys! I've just bought a 1999 Sentra XE 1.6L and appredciate the comments on the 1999. It's my first OBD-II machine so I'm getting set to buy a scanner etc. I've got a carburated 1987 Sentra with 325,000 miles that still runs great. It starting needing stuff after 310,000 (alternator, inner tie rod end, front exhaust pipe etc.) and I've replaced one front strut and both drive axles over the years but it's only real malfunction was the failure of the fuel delivery system. The cam in the engine that operates the fuel pump apparently wore out so no fuel to the carb. I rigged up an electric fuel pump to bypass the mechanical one and it runs fine. No significant body rust yet and I've never had to go into the engine. Great car - best I've ever owned.

I had a 1978 B210GX. It went 223,000 miles before the clutch gave out. It had developed electrical and cooling system problems and miscellaneous minor annoyances so I had to give up on it. The engine still ran well but I had to put three head gaskets on it in the last

100,000 miles. Still, it was a great car.

Keep the cards and letters coming.

Al

Bob H wrote:

Reply to