Do you know about the 'Move Over' traffic law?

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

especially

blankets

signal.

neighbor?

I just looked in the Texas drivers manual and it states when making a left turn into a road with two or more lanes the driver is to use the lane that will cause less interference. I could not find where it said that the left turning driver shall use the center most lane. ( This use to appear in the manual) It does state in the manual that after coming to a complete stop a right turn may be made but the driver must stay in the curb lane. (I.E., No wide turns) So, it looks like even in Texas the left turn driver should not have caused interference with the guy making the right turn.

In general, it looks like the driving rules have been dumbed down along with our schools. Here in Amarillo the traffic laws aren't enforced much anyway. Except for speeding and the red light cameras. Stop signs are ignored for the most part. Especially when making right turns. Yield signs? They might as well be taken down and melted down for scrap.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. The guy turning right on red is not allowed to proceed at all until & unless he can doing it without interfering with traffic. I don't see a scenario where the guy making the right turn on red does not get the ticket.

Same here (Plano/Dallas). Red light cameras are popping up everywhere though.

Reply to
E. Meyer

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7A21806.179C2% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

Logically,the one with the -green signal- has right-of-way over those stopped at a red,even a right-on-red. Right-on-red requires that the driver go only when it's not interfering with thru-traffic. That includes green left-turn arrows.

there are plenty of places where you HAVE to left-turn into the rightmost lane in order to turn into an entrance that's near the intersection. Like most gas stations located on corners.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

especially

blankets

signal.

neighbor?

I just looked in the 2008 on line Texas drivers manual and it states when making a left turn into a road with two or more lanes the driver is to use the lane that will cause less interference. I could not find where it said that the left turning driver shall use the center most lane. ( This use to appear in the manual) It does state in the manual that after coming to a complete stop a right turn may be made but the driver must stay in the curb lane. (I.E., No wide turns) So, it looks like even in Texas the left turn driver should not have caused interference with the guy making the right turn.

In general, it looks like the driving rules have been dumbed down along with our schools. Here in Amarillo the traffic laws aren't enforced much anyway. Except for speeding and the red light cameras. Stop signs are ignored for the most part. Especially when making right turns. Yield signs? They might as well be taken down and melted for scrap.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I've always believed in moving over if anybody is parked on the right, but I don't like the law.

Why give police special status? Of 750,000 police in America, about 10 per year are killed beside the road in the line of duty, so the danger is small. Wouldn't changing lanes be more important for the safety of a woman with children who has car trouble, a tow-truck operator hooking up, or somebody changing a tire, for example?

When a cop is killed this way, it seems to be because a car moved well to the right of the travel lane due to inattention or loss of control. Would making millions of other drivers use the left lane eliminate this?

Won't this sudden lane-changing increase the chance that a car will be knocked out of control and hit the cop?

If a car in the left lane prevents a big rig from moving left, a cop may be unable to see the car and unwilling to believe the trucker.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Because it's politically expedient. The Legislators look out for the cops and the cops then vote for them (or just don't campaign against them for not being pro-cop enough).

Reply to
me

Jeesh. So cynical. :-)) Weren't we all taught that the policeman is our friend? After the many scandals with Canada's national police force I think most Canadians now have an entirely different opinion of that gang. At least they no longer investigate themselves for wrongdoings. Having said that, I wouldn't be a policeman for the world, not with society as it is today.

Max

Reply to
Max Magister