Ever buy tires from Pep Boys?

I had a horrible experience buying tires from Pep Boys. They are liars and cheaters. I purchased four tires at $50 each and the salesman proceeds to tell me the total will be close to $400! Obviously, I was flabbergasted and asked why so high. Then he breaks down the price, quickly glossing over $20 per tire "insurance" and $11 per tire Life-time balancing, both OPTIONAL.

It upsets me that he purposefully didn't ask if I wanted them. Highly unethical and probably illegal. Wouldn't surprise me if others just accepted the total and didn't make a fuss like I did. Plus paid another $8 for new stem plugs but they just used the old ones from my old tires! I also asked them to save one of the tires because it was relatively new and wanted to keep it as emergency, but they threw it away!

Good thing I took all the quarters out of the coin box, or they probably would've taken those too!

Anyone else experience similar? Did you report them and where?

Reply to
Longagotoday2343

The sales guy is probably highly incented to sell insurance and life-time balancing.

Reply to
ppointer

I bought 4 Futura tires from Pep Boys in Columbus, OH. Great tires, great price. My only complaint was that I had a long wait. They were very busy that day.

Reply to
Chris

You are kidding, aren't you? If not, then....... LOL

Reply to
Jeremiah

I bought tires from Pep Boys for my 95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4...$57 each. I told them I will install them myself. So I drove to a local Flat Fix Shop and they charged me $100 flat rate to install, balance, valve stems, and disposal of my old tires... I love beating Pep Boys at their own game... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

That is funny, my local place does same for 14.00 per tire....

Reply to
doS

Just curious about what warrantee you got from Pep Boys regarding wear/tear, balancing etc.? In short is Pep Boys free from any complaints about the tires should they not perform to your expatiations? Dannie

Reply to
Dannie

At $57 a tire? Who cares? At those prices I can afford to replace the tires every year. :)

I generally get 2-3 years out of a fresh set of tires. You just have to make sure you rotate them every now and then. I try to do mine every 3 months.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

ouch....... pretty pricey. if i take it to my main mechanic it costs me

10.00 canadian per tire, if i take it to the shop that the tire place has a deal with it costs me 8.00 per tire. guess I am lucker them i thought:>
Reply to
Al's

Reply to
E. Meyer

Here in Florida mechanic labor is high priced.

I normally pay 100-140 a tire from Tire Kingdom or Allied Tires.

$57 for a 31x10.50xR15LT is a great deal, no matter who makes them.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I seriously doubt the labor is significantly more expensive there than in most other population centers around the country. $57 each for the tires plus $25 each for installation - I'll almost bet you could've gotten those same tires at other places for that same $82 each, installed.

Tirerack is an > Here in Florida mechanic labor is high priced.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Maybe what I should have said is that Florida mechanics use bait & switch tactics more than other states do... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Sounds like you probably get what you pay for. You could also spend $140 on some Michelins that will last twice as long and only need to pay for mounting once. Not to mention your time saved by not having to go thru that ordeal twice!

Reply to
Rob Munach

With the extreme heat, sun and UV here in Florida, Even Michlens would see an early death.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas