Help! Please! Car won't start-tried a lot of things.

Hi all:

'93 Nissan Altima GXE. Won't start. Not the timing chain (see earlier this year's post).

Symptoms: No spark @ the plugs (tried all 4). No spark off the

2ndary wire off the coil. Coil to distributer wire of proper resistance range. Coil resistance (primary and 2ndary) @ proper values. Checked for continuity between connector as Haynes manual suggests. Checked power transistor.

Checked ECM and it indicates that there's no voltage going to the primary coil and that there is something wrong with the camshaft position sensor. Remembered the oil leaking into the distributer. Opened it up and sure enough had oil and crude in it. Wiped it out and then sprayed GunScrub on everything to clean out the crude off the sensors/LEDs. Closed it up. No good. The only thing I haven't checked is the resister. Couldn't figure out how to get the cover off. Does it just pull off?

Also, is there a better way to clean the distributer out? Can I check it some other way to see if it's working now? Or should I just try and replace it with a new/rebuilt one?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've mined this group for much useful info.

Tim

Reply to
tim

My '94 Nissan Altima had a very similar sypmtom 18 months ago (94,000 miles) and it was the cam angle sensor that had gotten oil into it because the gasket or bearing leaked. If you have oil in yours, it may be the same problem as you suspect. I was told the oil obscures the little slots the light shines through so no signal is sent to fire the plugs. I think the rebuilt unit was about $435 or so from Nissan. I have since seen a friends '95 Altima do the same thing, although hers was intermittent for a couple of weeks before it was replaced. That one had only 35,000 miles so it may be a failure that is more time than mileage related. The Nissan folks say they keep a supply of rebuilts on hand so it may be a weak link in an otherwise very reliable car.

Reply to
Orv

Really? Thanks for the advice. I have yet to check the resistor (ignition), but am really leaning toward replacing the distributer. Could you tell me, did you try cleaning out/off the camshaft angle sensor? How did you do it? What were the results?

Thanks again!

Reply to
tim

I replaced the distributer and the car started right up. Still have to check the timing, but it seems to be running even better than before it threw the timing chain in January. I think my mileage may be up.

Reply to
tim