Hey NissTech - I followed your advice, please help!

Thanks for the help on my fan problem. I have an '02 PF w/auto climate control and no navigation system and the fan only runs on high speed. You said that I needed an a/c auto amp.

I called my local parts dept. and ordered one. After buying the part, I discovered that my vehicle doesn't have one; at least I haven't found it in the two possible locations where it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I now have a $250 electrical part that can't be returned and no place to install it. That is my fault. I should have waited until I located the old part on the vehicle, but I was in a hurry. Since then, I have found a Technical Service Bulletin that says that I need a blower fan/amp kit to fix this problem.

This kit will cost another $250. I'd prefer not to buy it until I know that it is what I need. Can you verify that the '02 PF does not have an a/c auto amp and that the TSB is relevant to my problem? I would also like to know if there are any special procedures to follow in the installation. The TSB suggests that there are. I would ask my dealer, but they were the ones who said I needed a new control and sun sensor for $900. I asked about this TSB and they've never heard of it.

Thanks for your help!! Here's the heading information for the TSB:

A/C - Blower Only Works on High Speed Classification: HA03-003b

Reference: NTB03-057b

Reply to
nfisherman

I am positive you have the right part to fix the vehicle.

I memory Sevres me, the part has 3 terminal connections to it.

If you remove the glove box you will find it, the connector that plugs into the amp will have some pretty thick blue wires coming out of it.

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks. All is well now. The a/c auto amp that I had was a plastic box about 3x5 inches and about 1 inch thick. It had tabs on the ends to screw onto a bracket. It had two terminal connections with several pins in each. The Alldata diagrams showed the a/c auto amp either under the radio, behind the transfer case knob, or just below the climate control switches. The location depended on the presence of the nav. system. I took the dash apart and found no such part, either behind the glove box or in the middle of the dash.

I did find what is apparently the "blower amp". It is a cast aluminum part with fins on it. It is installed in the plenum, between the blower and the heater core. I found the thick blue wires from this amp to the blower motor.

The Nissan Service Bulletin for '02-'03 Pathfinders with this problem and auto a/c says to replace the blower motor/amp kit. The bulletin includes a different part number than the part that I had. It stresses that the motor and amp must be replaced as a unit and suggests that there are some specific procedures for this repair in the factory service manual. I assume that there may be some sort of reset that needs to be done when the parts are installed.

I went back to the dealer where I bought the a/c auto amp (not my regular dealer) and explained my predicament. The parts manager graciously agreed to accept return of the part. Next, I went to the service dept. and discussed the problem and the Service Bulletin with them. They found the Nissan Service Bulletin and have ordered the blower/amp kit. The kit is also about $250 and they estimate about $120 for labor. The labor sounds a little high because it doesn't seem like a 1 1/2 hour job, but they took back the other $250 part, so I'm not complaining. I don't have access to the factory manual's procedures, so I figure I'll have them fix it.

Thanks!!

Reply to
nfisherman

This is a problem with all cars burning up blower amps. Normally the real problem is the blower motor is drawing too many amps and if you just replace the amp, it won't last very long. I would have gone the junkyard route for the combo and hoped for the best. :-)

Reply to
Steve T