How to change AT Tran Fluid?

I've changed oil, radiation fluid, drive axles, struts, but never transmission fluid.

Have a 02 Sentra, and would like some advice on how to change the tranny fluid. Is it as simple as opening a plug and replacing it? Or is there a lot more involved? The fiance does quite a bit of city driving and I just want to do some preventative maintenance.

Thanks in advance

VN

Reply to
VN

If it's an automatic, you probably need to remove the pan. I've never seen an automatic that had a drain plug. Also there is a screen or filter that needs to be changed or cleaned. And the pan usually has a magnet to collect metallic debris in the fluid and that needs to be cleaned.

Reply to
Mind Melt

Most Nissans from about 1990 on with AT have drain plugs. Of course, what would a fry tech know about that?

Also there is a screen or filter that

Reply to
Harry Balls

Reply to
JimV
99% sure it has a drain plug.

You might have to refill via dipstick.

Just remember avoid dust at all cost! dust can kill a AT box very quickly. If > I've changed oil, radiation fluid, drive axles, struts, but never > transmission fluid.

Reply to
Thomas McMechan

also check the nuclear fuel cell and replace the atomic synchronizer belts

lol

Reply to
Daniel

And don't forget those plasma relays!

Reply to
Jim

Damn forgot these ! thanks for the reminder ! running with old relays could have caused premature wear of the piston return springs

Reply to
Daniel