Magnet Oil Filter ?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with those magnet attachements one puts on a standard oil filter?

Sounds good in principle, but wondering if anyone has seen a noticeable difference in their oil.

Thanks CR

Reply to
Redigoogle

Have to cut filter open to find what you have collected - very messy. It will only collect ferrous material. It will show when the tappets, cams (cause = top end spray bars coked up) or crank thrust faces are wearing. It won't hold bits of alloy piston, thrust bearing faces or fatigued big end bearing overlay. EVERYTHING you find has already gone though the oil pump so that's trash.

Reply to
Peter Hill

No even good in principal. What do you expect it to hold on to? Anything large and iron will be stopped by the filter element. The filter is after the pick-up screen in the oil sump, the oil pump, and the pressure release valve. The oil pump pick-up screen should stop the vast majority of any large iron parts that might heve broken off of the crank, rods, or valve gear. The filter element should handle the rest. If you want to add a magnet, add it in the sump. A magnetic drain plug is much more useful than a magnet added to the filter. A magent in the sump can hold onto any chunks and keep them from bouncing back up in to the moving parts.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

But it will only get few the bits of iron that have been unlucky to get close enough to the sump plug to be attracted. Still, where there's one, there's more.

Reply to
Peter Hill

You might be surprised what a magnetic drain plug will catch. Nothing of any size will get past the screen on the oil pump pick-up. Small chunks of iron will move around in the sump and tend to move towards the lowest point where the drain plug is located. A magnetic plug will hold onto these chunks. Automatic transmissions frequently have large magnets in the sump I have seen impressive quantities of debris on these.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Better to get a magnetic drain plug... Wipe it clean when you remove it. It will catch only ferrous metals though... If you want some real protection, get a dual filter adder that not only gives you two filters (parallel, not in series) but also an extra quart of oil.

Reply to
Joe

OK. Very reasonable advise by all. Thank you Sounds like a magnetic drain plug couldn't hurt and could help.

get a dual filter adder that not only gives you two filters

Where does one get a dual filter adder?

Any suggestions for other after market filters. I once bought a 3B Jeep from a Colorado mechanic who installed filters that used cotton strands. It really worked

Then there was the ... was it Fram ... filters that used a roll of TP.

Thanks for the comments.

Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle

Good question. I was able to order mine through a local speed and performance shop a few years ago for my '88 sentra... Worked fine until I sold the car and got a call from the owner saying hi mechanic couldn't find the oil filter... Since there was an adapter plate and the filter was up near the battery, I was a bit surprised and told them to find a new mechanic.

Reply to
Joe