2002 Sentra SE-R Gauge Problem

I have two problems, and I was wondering if it will cost more than it's worth to fix, or could I fix it myself, I'm not good at any electrical work. And is this a common thing to fail. My temp. gauge needle jumps around, If it goes all the way up I can bang on the dash and it comes back to normal, or hitting bumps in the road will make it move around. It never stays in one place for too long. My car is not overheating at all. Could something be shorting out? Second, my parking break light is now doing the same thing coming on and going off. Everything else is ok. My car is an automatic, I don't use the parking break, but I tried it to see if it works and it does release the break ok. So does this sound like some kind of short, or what do you think? Thank You in advance for any help. Ed

Reply to
Ed

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ed) wrote in news:17040-4744B33C-938@storefull-

3275.bay.webtv.net:

Could be bad grounds. There's a lot of ground wires in the Sentras. either corrosion or a loose ground screw.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

But it would have to be behind the dash if the bang test causes a change. I have no model specific info, but the bang test generally indicates a bad gauge in most cars.

Reply to
still just me