GT exhaust fit w/oil filter pump?

Hey guys, I have an oil filter pump on my 73 bug, and I'm wondering if one of those aftermarket "GT" exhausts would clear the pump. Has anybody ever tried this? Thanks,

-Brian G.

Reply to
BrianTheDude

I don't know why you are going to put a GT exhausts, but I don't think it is a good idea. If you are using a stock carburetor and manifold and the manifold heater isn't blocked, it will be soon with that GT exhausts. If you are using dual carbs then it will be no problem.

Joao

joao_eliseu

I used to have an oil filter pump on my 73 bug. No problem with clearance with a single quiet pack muffler, but I did have a clearance problem with the stock muffler.

One day I had a big problem with the filter pump. I had a thick oil, 15 W40 or 20 W50, in the engine. It was cold one morning, the oil was thick, and caused the oil filter to 'implode'. Oil was all over the driveway.

Also in hot weather, the hot air coming out from under the engine would heat the metal oil filter which then acted as an oil heater making a hotter engine. OK for short trips I suppose.

I no longer use the filter pump and do not recomend them. A few years ago John C. of aircooled.net recomended to me to change my oil every 1000 miles if I did not have an oil filter.

Reply to
Jim347a

This sounds to me like a bad filter. The oil should bypass immediately to the exit portof the filter when it is too thick.

I don't think it is possible for exhaust cooling air to make the engine hotter, all by itself. The temperature of the air will be cooler than that of the oil and it is only that the air's ability to absorb heat will have been reduced. The oil filter is also not a 'heat exchanger', so the ability of the air to either cool or heat the oil is severely reduced.

Reply to
Peter

All parts on my engine are stock and it works great. You only have to insure that all stock parts are working as design. If you don't like issues then apply the KISS methodology on our engine.

Joao

joao_eliseu

I don't think it is possible for exhaust cooling air to make the engine

it is more a transfer of heat (radiant) from the exhaust pipes to the filter and pump...with your standard aftermarket header, the filter is neslted among the pipes that cross in the rear of the engine...a filter pump i used to have actually touched the header at the flange where the filter mounted....wore a nice little flat spot in the aluminum flange....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I run 15-50 in my engine with a pump and I use quality filters and do not have any problems. Stick with a Wix, Mobil 1, Purolator etc.

Reply to
Ben Boyle