Maximum payload

Can someone please explain how the maximum payload of a vehicle is decided. I am looking at purchasing a new xterra, which touts itself as being a tough heavy duty vehicle, capable of carrying five people, lots of gear, and a large roofrack. Yet the payload capacity is stated in various publication and on nissan as anywhere from 975 to 1098 lbs. Yet other vehicles such as the pathfinder is rated for 1317, the fjcruiser at 1711, the liberty at 1150 and even the small mini, minvan mazda

5, using low profile tires to boot is rated at 1183(more then the xterra) I plan on using the xterra, for four or five people plus gear, to go camping, skiing, etc. Five adult men alone, so averaging at 180 lbs only can easily put the xterra near the max. Can someone please explain? Much thanks.
Reply to
J.Lef

The main factor for max load is how much stress the chassis can take. Then there tire loads, how much load the tranny can take, the power of the morotr and others. Given its small towing capacity , it would seem that the Xterra is built on a uni-body chassis, rather than a truck one. Uni-bodies are lighter and tend to be used on cars which usually don't expect to do much towing, if at all. Also, unibody is more capable of providing creature comforts such more interior room, better suspension etc. Truck chassis main advantage is the abilit to haul A#$ %#$& :) Truck chassis type vehicles are less comfortable, less roomy, etc.

A perfect example of the differences between unibody and truck chassis is the Mercedes Benz ML line. The previous generation MLs were built on a truck chassis. They were heavier, slower, but could tow alot. The new MLs are built with a unibody structure. Mercedes has been strongly makreting how they are much faster than the previous MLs. It's mainly due to more powerful engines AND lighter bodies, unibodies. Of course these new MLs wont be able to tow as much as the last generation. Mercedes probably looked at their buyers and saw that they weren't towing much, so they re-designed accordingly.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thanks for the complete answer. The xterra is not a unibody, but definately a truck chassis, with a frame on chassis. It is the nissan frontier truck chassis, with the xterra body. I even see a report from motor trend asking the same question on "whats up with that", but they dont go into any details. I can post it, if you would like to see it.

Much regards

Reply to
J.Lef

Yes, I would like to see the story from motor trend. The limitation, then on hte Xterra must be the tranny and engine, since it has a truck chassis.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Okay here it is. Please comment if desired.

Much thanks

Motor Trend Online senior producer John Matthius discovered something disconcerting about our Xterra. If you put four adults and cargo in it, you can possibly reach or exceed the 930-pound passenger-plus-cargo weight limit. He further noted pronounced suspension rebound and exaggerated bump stops over suburban intersection dips. He goes on to say that this much gear filled the cargo area to the roof, including the space between the rear passenger seats.

Many buyers probably look at a midsize SUV like this and assume it would haul more weight than it actually does-as we did.

Reply to
J.Lef

I guess that would explain why I mistakenly figured the Xterra had a unibody. The limitation, then, must be the engine and/or tranny.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

If, as someone else mentioned, Xterra is built up from the Frontier truck chassis, it makes perfect sense. A standard pickup usually has a load rating of 1/2 ton (which is 1,000 pounds). 930 is really close to that. Given the added weight of the roof and body metal, they did really good to only be off by 70 pounds. As with airplanes, everything counts, including the driver and passengers.

Reply to
E Meyer