replacing serpentine belt and tensioner?

I have a 2000 SAAB 9-5 wagon that I brought to the dealer last week for a weird sound it was making. I was told the serpentine belt needs to be replaced, but then he also said that if you take off the belt you must also replace the tensioner because it is more likely to fail if you take off the belt. I haven't been able to find any documentation on this (including a google search of this group). Anyone hear of this or am I being treated like an ignorant female car owner by the dealership.

Thanks for any info you can give me, llk.

Reply to
lkl1008

Nonsense. They are grubbing for more of your money. It may be wise to replace the tensioner based on mileage, but not because you have slackened the tensioner.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It's not that you *must* change the tensioner.

It does however make sense to have its condition checked to avoid unnecessary duplicated labour costs in case it fails shortly thereafter though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes, just replacing the belt but not the pulley is false economy. Because by the time the belt needs replacement, the pulley is likely to be expiring soon.

Reply to
ngu

That is simply not true. I found the tensioner, or the pulleys last much longer than the belt. Expect at least two to one, if not three to one life expectancy. The belt costs arount $30. Pulleys cost around $50 each. The tensioner cost around $120. For someone who relies solely on a dealer or an indy to do his or her maintenance or repair, it may make sense to do some preventive repair or maintenance. Where do you stop though? What about the tensioner bracket? What about the tensioner base bolted to the timing chain cover, and the timing chain cover itself? What about the AC compressor pulley, the power steering pulley, the alternator pulley, and the crank shaft pulley? The belt is riding on all these pulleys. Are they not suspect? You need to do a realistic assessment of the conditions of the parts. You don't replace them on a wholesale basis on account of one failed part.

Reply to
yaofeng

Thank you everyone for your feedback! The follow-up question is of course, can I/my husband replace these parts ourself? He is quite handy and has done work on our other cars. I did a google search and found that other people have replaced the serpentine belt, but mention something about a special tool for getting it off the tensioner. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks again! -llk

Reply to
lkl1008

There are several SAAB owner groups on the internet each with a wealth of archive and owners ready to help you.

Go check them out. You can do it.

Reply to
yaofeng