Nissan Altima the "engine service soon" light turns on???

Dear Members:

in my nissan altima 1997, the light "break" and " engine service soon" turn on when I start the car? can you please tell me what they mean and what shoud I do>?

Thanks

Reply to
VijaKhara

No idea about the service engine soon. If you mean "brake" it could be:

- handbrake on, or switch dodgy

- Low brake fluid

- ABS fault (ABS tends to fail "safe", you still brake but without ABS)

- something serious, and your brakes are about to fail

Check the manual. It will say something. And I'd guess a trip to a dealer will allow you to swap many $£ or whatever for fixing it!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

My service eng soon and brake light came on at the same time. Didn't know what to think. On the way to the dealer I lost power and had to get towed. Turns out, the alternator was dead - the battery pwr took over til that drained all the way. I think the loss of power right after the alternator died caused the ABS to put the 'brake' light on. I have a 99 frontier - not sure if these might be the same engines.

Reply to
shillsix