Nissan Truck 1991 Price?

Hi, I am looking at a 1991 Nissan Truck regular cab 2 wheel drive with

4 cylinder 2.4 engine, 5 speed manual transmission, 53,000 miles in very good condition(paint is a bit faded but overall in good shape). Air conditioning, bed liner and AM/FM casette are only extra features. Elderly person had it and garaged, hence the low miles and condition. Person selling is asking $3000 but I think I can get for about $2,500.

What does everyone think of the price and what is reliabilty and things that might go wrong with this vehicle? I am leery of buying a vehicle this old but then again it could be a good buy that might run for years. My primary use for the vehicle would be a work vehicle and hauling things when needed.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Offer $750 but don't go beyond $1000. Who knows what the reliablility would be. Having it garaged only adds to its appearance.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Sorry for the previous post, if you still see it. I misread the mileage. Offer $1,500, but don't go beyond $1750. The reliability depends upon how well the vehicle was maintained. Having it garaged only adds to its appearance, and by your description of its faded paint, it apparently wasn't garaged that often.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg
Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Price sounds OK for the miles. These can have issues with the timing chains but shouldn't be a problem till over 100K. A higher mile truck would be cheaper but would probably need a $800-$1000 chain job soon.

Reply to
Steve

I own a 1989 4x4 ext cab PU with the V6. Mine uses a $15 timing belt which I change every 50K miles. After 168K miles, she still purrs like a kitten, with the original tranny and engine.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Yep but he's talking about a 4 cyl.

Reply to
Steve

Yes I know. But since my V6 costs $15 to changeout the timing belt in parts, I can't see a timing chain on a 4 cylnder costing $800, even with labor. $300-400 sounds fair.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Have you ever done it? It's no day at the beach. Most of those engines require the oil pan to be removed to get the cover off etc.

And maybe you can buy a t-belt for $15 somewhere (I've never seen them this cheap and would be scared to use one that cheap as well!) but most places charge $350 or so to do a professional T-belt job with tensioner/belts in the atlanta area..

Reply to
Steve

I have done my V6 3 times...not too bad. My neighbor has a Mitsubishi with a

4 Cyl. He is an ex motorcycle mechanic, and was able to do it in a few hours. I think he did mention something about dropping the oil pan.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas