Oh no, another A/C thread!

Hi guys,

Simple question for you, I have a 99 Altima and had it into the dealer last year or the year before to have the A/C looked at as it seemed to be not cooling as well as it used to. They found it was about 1 lb low on refrigerant, so they topped it up and put some u/v dye in to check for leaks down the road. On my next visit they didn't find any leaks except a few slight signs around the fittings that they thought might be solved by cleaning them. I decided to hold off on that at the time, since it was late in the season.

Anyway, yesterday I happened to unscrew the cap on the low side valve, and there was a pretty good hiss of gas escaping for a moment, and when I looked inside, the whole area was covered in a bright fluorescent yellow film, and was wet. I assume this is the dye they used.

My question is, how likely is it that once that small space under the cap gets filled with R134, it would be able to leak past the rubber seal on the cap? I'm just wondering if this leak is worth worrying about.. since I didn't see any dye outside of the cap, I'm guessing nothing has leaked past there, but maybe the R134 could get around the seal while the dye wouldn't?

Also I'm wondering if that valve might just need to be tightened up a bit... I don't have the proper tool to do it, is that something that's readily available? I have a tire valve stem remover that does the trick for tires, but this valve would require a bigger version of that.

Reply to
JM

It is not uncommon to find the oil traces under the service port caps.

Normally it should be just that, traces. If you want to make sure, prepare soapy solution (water and detergent) and cover the port with a film of the solution to see if it bubbles. It should not.

Leaks from the valves are supposedly stopped by the cap and the oring in it. If there was a leak past the cap, you would see the oily dirt residue around the port and cap.

Yes, the tool you need is bigger than the one for the tires and with extreme care you could use needle nose pliers to deal with valve, but unless you have the proper tool to tighten or replace the valve core, without having to empty the refrigerant from the system, I would leave it alone.

Good luck

JM wrote:

Reply to
AS