Primera - cylinder head

While doing some general maintenace on my 93 (L) Primera - oil change, etc., I noticed my radiator was in a hell of a state - fins corroded and crumbling, but no leaks. Only about 50% of fins remaining.

I decided a new rad was in order as this has been a good car for me with minimal problems (through 96K miles).

The man put in a new rad for me (£110), but said "I don't like it, there's combustion gas in the coolant. You need a head skim and head gasket." He further stated that he thought the old rad pipes were expanded due to excessive pressure.

Well, bearing in mind the value of this car (similar = ~£600 on Auto-Trader) and the fact that it does not contaminate the oil or use any coolant, I'm a bit skeptical. It also passes MOT emissions with plenty margin. I must also bear in mind that my father had a Rover214 (terrible cylinder head) that he only made worse when he tried to fix it.

Any thoughts ? Is this common ? I'm inclind to leave alone unless a problem surfaces.

TIA

Reply to
primera

Not a common problem and a right PITA of a job to do.

Unless it displays any other problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
SteveH

Wait till it's cold & start the engine . Then take the radiator cap off whilst it's cold & it shouldn't be pressurised, but if it's not using coolant it's unlikely.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I would say it all depends on how good the rest of the car is, forget the book price. It sounds like you like the car and it has given you pretty much hassle free driving. maybe worth taking it to a proper nissan dealer and getting it checked out? It may only need a new head gasket.

Reply to
Dwayne

I just fitted one on my 92 1600 P10 for the same reason £56 for the rad

I cant see that happening as the rad cap is rated at 0.9 bar so that would release any pressure and fill up the expansion tank.

Reply to
Trevor smith