Re: 1996 Altima - Timing Belt Question

The Altima does not have a timing belt, it has a chain.

The chain should not need servicing for quite a long time, if the car runs good and the chain is not making any noise then keep on driving it

Hi all, > > Recently read the post and answers re: changing timing belt, etc. on a 99.5 > Pathfinder. My question for the group (and please indulge if this has been > answered before) - would the same advice apply to my 96 Altima currently > with 103,000 miles? > > If I have it right: > > 1. Replace timing belt and all other associated belts > 2. Replace tensioner > 3. Inspect and replace if needed: water pump, cam seals and front crank seal > 4. OK to have done by a qualified private shop > > > Any I missing anything? Thank you. > > > mcmd > > >
Reply to
NissTech

Timing CHAINS (as different to BELTS) last a very long time, sometimes as long as the life of an engine, (100,000 miles or more, for a 4 cyl engine) although not so much with modern OHCamshaft engines compared to older OverHeadValve pushrod engines

A CHAIN will give you plenty of warning, before it's anywhere near getting worn enough to damage the engine, I dunno the exact figure but probably for something like for 3,000 miles (5,000 km) at least, when you are idling you'll think the engine is about to blow up and land in your lap ! (noise disappears/not so noticable in normal running)

.....then, you can think about going in and having the timing chain and gears replaced

cheers

Spam-block in action

Catherine Jemma.......(Keeper of The Gem of Amara) Outback Western Australia .... snipped-for-privacy@agn.net.au.knickers

(Remove knickers before replying)