95 Altima - Timing Belt???

Does anyone know if my 95 Altima GXE has a timing belt or chain?

If it's a chain, is there any maintenance required? The car has 120km on it, and I don't want the problems you can run into if the belt breaks....

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob Scrivens

Chain. All the Altimas have chains.

Reply to
E. Meyer

2 of them.
Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Okay.

What, if any, kind of maintenance is required on them? Do they have to be replaced, tightened, or anything?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob Scrivens

All chains eventually wear. The chain --should-- go the life of the rest of the motor but sometimes they don't. Let's see you have what 120km on it? That's 1 kilometer = 0.621 miles.

120 x 0.621 = 74K miles. I wouldn't worry about it personally unless you hear some chatter. And even then it's not an immediate threat. Also I doubt there is any kind of maintenance required.

I had a V6 that chattered from 40K miles to 100K miles when I finally changed the chain and gears. I would have not changed it had it not been for the water pump developing a leak. I figured I might as well change it while it was accessible. After the change, I drove that vehicle for 50K miles more before I sold it. It was a 4x4 truck that was off road quite a bit so it saw some extreme use. It's still running with over 200K miles on it with the timing chain change being the only major service ever done (besides the usual water pump, alternator, starter) things.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Thanks Meat!

Reply to
Rob Scrivens

No maintenance whatever. It is an internal engine part. But -- don't skimp on the oil changes. If the tensioners gunk up, the chains will start slapping around.

Reply to
E. Meyer