Replacing shocks on 95 PF

Can this be done by a mechanically inclined person with standard tools? My ride is starting to suffer but I want to keep costs down. I also enjoy doing it myself.

DS

Reply to
DS
  1. Yes.

  1. Get your manual yet?

John D.

Reply to
John D.

Ditto here, but I have a 96xe,just as easy? Struts? Know of any how-tos?

Reply to
Drunk Monkey Knife Fight

True, but I found it easier and cheaper to make your own coil spring compressor...from some inexpensive hardware at Home Depot. It's not hard to do.

Some auto stores let you rent special tools, or even loan them to you (Pep Boys), but I made my own, not only for that strut job but for future use, too.

Still, you don't need the compressor to remove the McPherson strut assembly (the ones I've seen) so he could just remove the assembly and take it to the shop and save money since it's already been removed and he's going to put it back in...the shop's work would be much less which should mean you'd pay less labor charges.

Of course, after replacing your struts -- whoever does it -- be sure to get a wheel alignment done.

John D.

Reply to
John D.

Shocks you can do yourself. You might need an impact wrench to bust rust bolts loose.

Reply to
Mind Melt