UK - USA Gallons

I was wondering where the difference in gallons oocurs between the UK and USA. In the UK a gallon is eight pints but a UK gallon is larger than a US gallon. A UK pint has 20 Fl oz. Is this the same in the US? No reason for the question, just curious. Cheers. Peter

Reply to
Peter

A US Pint is 16 US oz. A US Quart is 2 US Pints. A US Gallon is 4 US Quarts. A UK Gallon (we call it an Imperial Gallon) is larger than a US Gallon - 1 gallon [US, liquid] = 0.832 674 184 63 gallon [UK]. Likewise, 1 pint [US, liquid] = 0.832 674 184 63 pint [UK]. Even the ounces are different - 1 ounce [UK, liquid] = 0.960 759 940 39 ounce [US, liquid].

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The important differences are in the ounces and the gallons. The U.S. gallon is based 128 U.S. fluid ounces. The imperial gallon is based on 160 ounces. The U.S. fluid ounce is about 1.041 imperial ounces, so a U.S. gallon is actually nearer to 133.2 imperial fluid ounces. This does not much matter in the kitchen, but when you start working in substantial amounts for brewing or wine making, it can, IOW, as soon as you are working with three significant digits, be careful.

The Wiki article on the gallon is useful:

Andrew Chaplin

In the UK, it is an imperial gallon. In the US, it's an imperialist gallon.

HTH

Reply to
DemoDisk

Thanks all, More complicated than I thought. I liked the political satire in the last reply! Cheers, Peter

Reply to
Peter