Vehicle Speed Sensor?

I have a 1995 Nissan Quest. I want to locate and test the "vehicle speed sensor". Where is it located on the transaxle?

The Haynes manual has a picture that implies it's located at the top/rear/right of the transaxle as you face the vehicle, but I can't find it.

I've also looked to the left, center, top and bottom and I can't find it. I'm sure I've looked right at it, but I can't seem to identify it.

All tips, suggestions, and comments are welcome.

TIA,

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

I believe the Quest's VG30E (3.0L V6) engine is the same type used in the earlier Pathfinders.

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

Found it! top/rear/center back in the shadows. Has anyone taken one out of their trans? Is it a force fit, or is the sensor threaded into the transaxle??

TIA,

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

If your speedometer is not working correctly, the sensor is more than likely NOT at fault. You CAN find the feed to the speedo from the sensor and check for a signal. When the speedo goes bad its one of the IC's and it isnt replaceable even though its a cheap part.

Search this newsgroup for old articles about this.

-SP

Manjo wrote:

Reply to
speedy

Speedy,

The speedometer appears to be working OK, BUT the tachometer is and has been "broken" since I was given the car 3 years ago.

I have tested the two-wire speed sensor connector and I get zero/no DC volt reading on either wire testing to ground (the test procedure is from the Haynes manual). Since I have not been able to take out the sensor itself, (I don't know if it's a force fit or threaded into the tranny), I'm assuming the sensor is OK.

I guess my questions are the following if you can help me:

  1. Is the vehicle speed sensor threaded in to the tranny, or just a force fit?
  2. If the speedometer is functioning correctly, will a broken tach have any effect on the information passed to the various solid state components in the car?

TIA for any info, tips, suggestions, (and Happy Turkey Day!)

Manjo 1995 Nissan Quest

speedy wrote:

Reply to
Manjo