What is the deal with branded and generic wheel covers?

Why are branded wheel covers so expensive? And are generic ones, not comparable enough in quality?

I recently took my '98 Nissan Sentra for a quick-clean at one of those

7$ drive-through places. The water jets tore off some paint from the wheel covers. Especially from the front ones. Now, I see wheel covers in decent condition in warehouses nearby for approx. 50$ each (and new ones for 200$+).

I am curious: why aren't generic wheel covers very popular? I mean, Walmart has cool covers for 16$ per 4-set!! Why is there such a large price difference?

And if this is normal, is there some inexpensive way of painting the wheel covers? Or, is it possible to sell off the scratched ones to someone? (any online websites for this?)

Thanks

Reply to
gansvv

You'd be better off posting this question to a busier newsgroup, like honda or toyota. Same issues for them, as well, but their NGs are busier and you'll get a lot more responses.

Do some web searching for your wheelcovers; I find it hard to believe wheelcovers for a 98 Sentra are >$200 when I found em for $30--$40 each for my '93. That's for the ones *with* logos; the generics are $30--40 for a complete set.

There's a lesson here for people who care about their cars -- don't put them in anyone else's hands if you can possibly help it.

HTH, JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk