Vibe wheel covers and tire lugs

Hi, Just got a '05 base with manual trans - so far so good!

(This question concerns steel 16" wheels with plastic wheel covers) I noticed one of the black plastic nuts on the wheel covers loose. I tried to take it off, it loosened more but stayed on. So I tried to tighten it, it got tight and then went beyond like the threads were striped - I didn't turn it that hard.

Are these plastic nuts just for the wheel cover (I hope). How do I get them off to get at the wheel lugs? I don't want to break anything before I find out. There is nothing in the owner manual about the wheel covers.

Thanks

--PK

Reply to
P K

Hi..

The black "lugs" are permanently part of the wheel cover itself. They screw onto the wheel lugs underneath them. If you take the wheel cover off, you'll see there are threads on the outside end of the wheel lugs. You have to loosten all 5 plastic wheel nuts and the wheel cover comes off to expose the steel wheel nuts.

Steve

Reply to
Snoopy

Steve, That's what I thought, but didn't want to force the thing. THanks

--PK

Reply to
P K