93 Altima Dies Quite Often -- Exhaust Exudes Burning Smell -- Ready for Road Trip Today?

I've got a 93 Altima that, beginning last night, nearly dies when I stop at a stop light. The RPM needle goes down very low, and often will be jumping quite a bit. Also, the smell from the exhaust is an awful, burning smell. Generally, when I'm accelerating, it's okay -- but a couple times, I noticed the RPM needle jumping around quite a bit even when I'm going 30 to 40 MPH.

The spark plugs and distributor are new -- so I don't think the problem lies there. The oil, when I check it, is a pinkish color -- I had it changed about a month ago. I live in Wisconsin, and noticed the past few weeks that the engine has a hard time heating up, and often will cool down when I turn on the heater. Don't know if any of that is related.

Need to make a road trip to Chicago shortly -- is it safe? No mechanics are open on New Years. Any tips? Advice?

Thanks.

Reply to
kalexand33

John Smith

also, you absolutely need to change the thermostat.

the problem with the engine running may not be the injectors. it may be, but here's another frequent issue with these cars: distributor. Even though you had it replaced, guess what (and i apoligize as i realize how much this sucks) ? that new distributor could be bad again. you should, even though u dont want to, have that checked again.

Reply to
llcoolpass

have you figured out what the problem was? I have the same problem. Just started happening. We left it outside for 5 days in the COLD while on vacation and came back and it did that the first day. I drove it to work and it kept stalling everytime I tried to accellorate. Got to work and it sat for a few hours and then came home and was fine. That was at New Years and it just happened again this morning. I have an appt with Nissan tonight. What did yours end up being?

Reply to
shan1205

I have the exact same issue with my 1993 Nissan Altima. There is a weired smell from the exhaust!! The car dies off at the stop sign and lights when the car is still in lower gear. The RPM needle gets jerky (jumps around a little bit).

Any solutions guys? (other than Injector flush and thermostat).

Reply to
clickonline121