Altima extended warrantee opinions sought

Hello, I just purchased a 2002 Altima S. The dealer offered an extended warrantee which I declined in spite of the high pressure. However, he did give me 30 days to reconsider, so that's what I'm doing. The warrantee he was selling was fairly inclusive of all systems and components on the car.

One thing that stays with me is some of the figures he was tossing around for computer failures on vehicles in general - thousands of dollars. I don't worry about the smaller stuff like starters and alternators. I can replace these myself. But I have no experience with computer replacement. My questions: How prone is the 2002 Altima to a computer failure and does anyone here know what a ballpark cost would be for repair? What other large ticket repairs are common on the Altima? General opinions on if an extended warrantee makes sense for this car? thanks, Tom

Reply to
Wallace

I assume it's Nissans warrantee and if so I'd shop for it on internet. I declined my dealers offer and saved several hundred dollars by purchasing it from another dealer in another state. A Nissan warrantee s/b good universally and some dealers want volume sales. And at my time of purchase I had up to 1 year to make purchase.

Ah the universal question? Is it worth it? That's an argument that can go on forever. It's like collision insurance - do I buy it and when do I drop it? Well I for 3 years kept my ded at $250, want to 2000 and backed into a tree and it cost me 1100. I am now back to 250. One just never knows..

Reply to
Dannie