Fuel Filter replaced (Yeah)

Thanks to the wonderful information in this user group I succcessfully replaced the fuel filter on my 98 Altima. Here are some of the tips that I picked up along the way.

  1. The fuel filter is located on the firewall next to the power steering

  1. It is a very good idea to drain the fuel by pulling the fuse for the fuel pump and running the engine until the fuel runs out.

  2. Getting the hoses off the old filter is not easy. My repair shop said this has been a pain for them too. The trick for me was to use a pair of plyers and crimp the hose at the end of the filter. This breaks the seal, shrinks the lip on the filter and allowed the cable to slide off.

  1. Take Nissan's advice and replace the hose clamps. After the initial install with the old clamps the bottom hose was leaking. Make sure you get clamps for a high pressure fuel hose. They were .99 at my auto supply store.

The whole operation took me over an hour, but I felt a sense of satisfaction at having done it myself!

regards, Scott

ps: next project is to replace the valve cover gasket and the gaskets around the spark plugs because one of the the spark plug holes has oil in it. The job looks easy, but is there any advice before I dig in?

Reply to
Scott Wieder