Need a little diagnosis

My 95 Altima got rear-ended a few weeks ago by a Ford Explorer. My car's damage is fixable. The driver side rear light was crushed along with the sheet metal around it. In fact, I have spent the past two weekends to get the car back to a much nicer looking shape. The only remaining job is to repaint the damaged part.

However, I do have a little sticky problem with the electricity system. Since the accident, my dashboard metering light is gone and so are all the meter functions. I could jump start my Altima but it won't stay in charge. In a few engine startup, I can use up all the power stored in the battery. It may sound like either battery problem or alternator problem. However, battery was replaced about 6 months ago. Alternator was dealer-replaced from a brand new alternator about

6 years ago due to a faulty alternator. The total milage on my Altima is only 46K miles.

My questions:

  1. Could it be loose wire somewhere that goes to the dashboard meters?
  2. Is there a fuse box, or set of fuses, I can check for dashboard meters?
  3. Since the impact was not big, and there was no airbag deployment, I don't think the accident caused the electricity failure. Could it be a shorted wire to cause burnt fuse somewhere? My cursory checkup under the hood does not find a single burnt fuse. Are there other fuses under dashboard?
  4. Even if it was fuse problem, why would it impact alternator's charging? Thank you very much! Bob
Reply to
Rob

You said you jumped it a few times, I jumped my car 3 times over a week

*left headlights on at work DOH* and all those jumps basically fried the battery, take it to a shop and have it tested, Autozone will do this for free.
Reply to
Talon

Have the battery checked out, there's a chance the impact could have jolted some of the cells. Also you might want to look at the starter, it could be drawing to much power.

Reply to
Eric F