01 Max - Check Engine Light/ 87 octane

Just replaced the MAF 3000 miles ago and the check engine lights back on. Does running 87 octane gas have a negative impact on the engine? BTW, I don't have the engine code yet.

Thanks

Reply to
jmclc

It's not doing it any good, but running 87 won't turn on the CEL.

Reply to
JimV

Check the codes (yourself, Autozone, etc.). and report back with your findings... the ECU has detected and stored a problem code - it should help identify/diagnose the problem.

Any driveability issues/symptoms?

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

The car is driving fine. How can I check the engine code myself?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
jmclc

With an OBD-II code reader - or you can go to autozone and they will retrieve the codes for you for free (except in CA).

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Before running 87 octane, compare fuel consumption between premium and regular gas. There is a good chance that you're not saving much by running 87, since your fuel consumption is up (that was the case with my maxima). Also, in the long term, 87 can have a negative impact on your engine.

Reply to
rutia