1994 Maxima SE

Car runs fine but will not go in park. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Reply to
bank22

Perhaps the park your are trying to enter doesn't allow Maximas. Try entering on foot. :-)

Seriously, my 2000 max has a switch on the shifter that must be pressed in before the trans can be placed in reverse or park. If the

94 has a similar configuration you might try pressing the switch extra hard with a wiggle while trying to shift to park. If that does the trick there is likely somthing wrong with the nechanism on the shifter. The only other cause of your problem that I can think of would be the tran$mi$$ion. Good luck!
Reply to
Feynmanfan

Your shift lock solenoid and/or controller unit may be bad. A pain in the butt to fix unless you have a shop manual and a multimeter to test the circuit. My 94 doesn't have the lock release button, but my 90 GXE does. Don't know why! I replaced both the shift lock solenoid and controller on my

90 GXE. Can you get the key out of the ignition lock?? I don't think it will let you if it doesn't go into Park. I'm gonna guess it's your controller unit.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H