1998 Maxima Brakes squeeling

Well I still havent got the brakes fixed on this 1998 maxima. When the car is going in reverse and you step on the brakes, the rear wheel sounds like a tuning fork.

After further investigation I found the rear left parking brake cable does not work at all. The rear right cable does work. So with the rear left cable removed I can now lift the handle beyond 1 detent. It will go 8-10 now with only the rear right attached.

With the left and right parking brake cables detached, the car goes in reverse with brakes applied and does not make this sound. If I reattach the right parking brake cable and go in reverse and apply the brakes, I get the tuning fork sound. I don't get the sound if I use the parking brake to stop the car, though its hardly even capable of stopping the car...

Any ideas?

I know I need a new cable for the left side, which may require replacing the whole thing. But why the squeel on the right side when then parking brake cable is connected but no squeel when parking brake is not connected.

Do both inner and outer pads work when brakes are applied, or is it one pad for normal brakes and the other pad for parking brake like regular rear brakes? If thats the case then I can probably blame a bad caliper or a funky brake pad.

Reply to
dnoyeB

There is a TSB on this issue and NO it does not entitle you to get it fixed for free.

There are updated e-brake cables and a new rear hardware kit that need to be installed.

Reply to
NissTech

...wisdom [is] better than strength: ... ecclesiastes 9:16 Get knowledge via 'Favorite Links; (top left)', see clic below, then use Wisdom...

Reply to
Wiikinki

I saw a bulletin NTB99-031b that came close enough. They talk about replacing the parking brake cables and rear pad retainers. I already ordered new cables yesterday. Ill call them back and add on the retainers.

Well actually Ill hold off on the retainers. the left cable is bad so thats good enough reason to replace the right as well. But I think the fundamental problem is the pad material. Probably I just need to get Nissan's high end pads.

This is because all of the similar nissan bulletins are talking about noise *after* the pedal is released, which I do not have. I only have noise while the pedal is pressed.

NissTech wrote:

Reply to
dnoyeB