Brakes Squeel/Humm in Reverse on 98 Maxima

I had a friend install some new brakes on the rear of a 1998 Maxima. Ever since, when you back up the brakes humm like a loud tuning fork.

Best I can tell from internet is this is probably the parking brake being too tight.

Anyone have experience with this?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

It sounds like the brakes are binding. It could be a variety of things:

  1. Parking brake sticking (as you mention). This could be due to seized parking brake cable(s)
  2. Caliper pins frozen - Did your friend remove, clean, and re-lube these when he did the brake job?
  3. Did your friend correctly line up the rear pads such that the nub of back of the pads correctly seats inside the piston groove?
  4. What brand/type of pads were used in the replacement?
  5. Were the rotors replaced/machined?

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 128k
Reply to
njmodi

How many times does your parking break lever click when you set it? Maybe it's too tight?

Reply to
mdg

answers 3, 4, and 5

Sound real good possibilities to me

Reply to
NissTech

well Ill check these things then. rotors were not replaced or machined. Not sure of pad type. parking brake only pulls up a very short distance, one maybe two clicks. Sound is only in reverse, never going forward, and there does not appear to be any perceptable drag in either direction.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I forgot to check how many times the lever should click, but last time I read it, it seems it was between 8 and 12 somewhere. Sounds like it's overtightened.

On the sound being only in reverse...it could still be that it's over tightened I think. I have a little Mazda truck that I drive, and then the parking break is set loosely, it's easy to drive backwards, but impossible to drive forwards. My point being that your break, like mine, might act differently depending on which direction you're going.

You might try loostening the parking break so there are 5 or 6 times as many clicks, just to remove the possibility that this is the problem.

Matt

Reply to
mdg

Shoot...one thing. My max is a 93, so the distance the lever should travel will probably be different. I found this info in a Haynes manual I believe.

Definately something to checkout though.

Matt

Reply to
mdg

...and his words are not heard." ecclesiastes 9:16 I suppose youre not driving too many miles with R? If raised wheel rotates freely, keep goin... If not, correct or you'll fry bearings, loose mpg...

Maybe the piston adjuster wasnt been rotated to max IN-pos? I had sticking problems before full tuneup [dont expect anybody to do the following].

Whattodo? Do what suggested above and: Add grease to hb wire, & caliper rails, special brake grease under piston dust shield; (swap brake liquid every 3yrs). Resulting brk tst numbers tell the story, My -93 GXE inspection passed today:

!!! Brake Test deviation percentages LH / RH are now zero %.:

....Front 3.02 / 2.97 ....Rear 1.34 / 1.33 Hbrake 1.69 / 1.72

see page

Issue2: yes, thks for the thought, proudness despises wisdom... verse 13. "This wisdom have I seen also under the sun, and it seemed great unto me: "

Reply to
Wiikinki