Replacing 97 Max Oxy Sensor ???

OK,

Got the code 0503 for the Front Right Heated O2 sensor on the ECU today on my 97 Max SE.

Questions...

  1. Should I replace the Left 02 sensor as well (and maybe the cat sensor too?) while I'm doing the right and get them all out of the way? I didn't get a code for the left or cat sensors but hey, in 2 weeks, they'll probably kick on too, the car just hit 75,000 (or are they all different mileage failure ratings?)

  1. Where is the best place (other than my friendly and likeable yet expensive Nissan dealer) to buy them online or over the phone? Bosch OE is all I'm springing for, I don't expect to have the car much longer.

  2. Is this something I can do myself? I'm proficient at things like plugs, fuel filters, regreasing the starter but if the oxy sensors on the Max are anything like the old one on my VW Rabbit GTI, it's a bitch and a bear to get at and unscrewed after 6 years of
500 degree exhaust heat. If it's something the dealer is better suited for, I probably don't want to drag my off the street sensors in there.

Thanks

Reply to
ThrashATL

Bosch O2 sensors with OE harness. Get the front two and forget the back one. If you are not keeping the car long, just spring for the problematic one.

Easy install although the OE harness has clips that are hard to get to if you have a big muscular arm. I think the front right is easier to get to. You will need to spring for an O2 sensor socket. The "crows foot" type is actually easier to use than the traditional "socket"type. One O2 sensor takes 10 minutes to remove, 5 minutes to put in... let's say 10 minutes to put the front on jackstands and hit the sensor with penetrating lube. Use a 1/2" breaker bar on the crows foot sensor remover, and it will easily break free. Put anti-seize on the threads of the new sensor.

Reply to
CWu

Before you go off spending money on brand new O2 sensors, you might want to reset the CEL and try a different brand of gas. Mine kept on giving me the code for the Front Left O2 sensor and was about to take it to a dealer for a mega-bucks repair job. After hearing several tips from this NG, I switched to another gas brand and I have not had the light come back on again since then.

Reply to
George H

Well, I've been using the same brand of gas since I bought the car. I replaced the sensor yesterday and the idiot light has not come back on yet. The car has

75K on it, about the expected life of the right side (firewall) O2 sensor. Not too bad, the O2 on my old VW GTI went off at 60K and was more expensive.
Reply to
ThrashATL