2000 Maxima Bose radio, no power to unit at all

Hello,
A few days ago, the BOSE unit in my 2000 Maxima started powering down, unable to power on. It would then come on after a few minutes, but now
it's completely dead (or so it seems). The funny thing is, the CD eject mechanism still works when you press it, but nothing else powers up-- I suspect it's on a different relay. Can anyone tell me if this is something known, simple to fix?
Another piece of info: my 2-year old son was playing in the car, and slipped a penny into the CD slot. It fell inside before I could fish it out :(. The CD didn't play for a little while, but then I turned a sharp corner and it came back on again. The penny may have fallen into a harmless location. However, the whole unit died within a week of this happening, so maybe the penny shorted something out. So the powering off may be a coincidence, or maybe not. I'm willing to replace the whole unit if necessary, but I want to avoid that. Whether or not that is the cause of the powering down, is there any way of fishing the penny out?
Thanks!
On 4/10/10 12:48 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@s9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com, "Carltop"

If you're lucky, it blew a fuse rather than destroy itself. Check the fuses. If you find a blown one, don't replace it until you first take the unit out, open it up and get the penny out. In any event, you have to take the unit out and remove the penny if there is to be any chance of it working again.

Thanks. Do you know if the unit can be opened easily to see where the penny is?
On 4/10/10 7:48 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@y36g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "Carltop"

I had to do this once with the bose in a '97 I30 (pretty much the same car). It opened up easily. Once the change was removed, it all worked again.

Thanks again. I took the unit out tonight. Unfortunately, the mounting screws are so tight that I couldn't get them off to open it up. I was starting to strip the screws, so I stopped. Argh. I may track down a friend with the proper impact screwdriver or something. But your posts are very encouraging.

Oh, additional info: the fuse was fine. So I'm not too confident that even removing the coins will help. But another Bose unit will probably be under $100, so I got that going for me :)