2002 Maxima SE Speedo Problem

In Feb. 2004 I had to have my transmission replaced on my 2002 Maxima SE. I was lucky because I had 52,000 miles on it so it was covered by the powertrain warranty. Since then I have over 60,000 miles on the car and the warranty has expired. Well now my speedometer is not working and a friend suggested the cable of the vehicle speed sensor which tells the ECU what speed you are going. He said it is connected to the transmission and it probably is a result of the transmission swap that was done. I contacted my dealer and they said the speedo problem and transmission work are not related and if I bring it in I will have to pay for service. I think this is total BS but I tried another dealer and they said the same thing. If it is the cable or the speed sensor how easy are they to replace, repair or whatever. Where is it located on the 2002 Maxima so I can check to see if it might be disconnected? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to do this myself if possible. Is there a manual in .PDF format someone can send to me helping me with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Ps. this is my first time posting so please email me any responses to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Keith

OK so here is where I stand now. I never found a manual or any documentation on this so I ripped off the airbox and things above the transmission myself to check all of the sensors thinking one might be the Speed Sensor. All of them seemed to be fine but when I started the car back up I got a Service Engine or Check Engine light. Still no luck on the speedometer problem either. Then I thought to check the fuse for the gauges and that was fine. Today when I left my house to come to work (didn't drive it since Saturday) it started fine and as soon as I gave it enough gas to pick up speed it started to sputter. It wouldn't really go above 45mph and if I was driving it and pressed the gas hard it would just rev between 2000 and 3000 RPMs not accelerating at all. My friend said this could be a limp mode or something like that for pulling the gauge cluster fuses. I assume like a feature so people couldn't bypass the odometer from registering miles. Any input?

Reply to
Keith

Assuming you put everything back together correctly, didn't pull off or break a harness connector, and have no air leaks, sounds like you screwed up your MAF. You didn't happen to try and clean it while you had it apart did you? Anyway, you can pick up a new MAF sensor for about $85 (see the parts thread on the Maxima.org forums) or fork over hundreds to the dealer for the entire MAF assembly.

Reply to
Dan