2003 Maximan Oil Consumption

I have a 2003 Maxima SE, and am experiencing higher than expected oil consumption: within 2000 km (1200 miles) the dipstick shows below minimum. The dealer replaces all gaskets, which improved the problem, but I'm still adding approx 1 liter oil/ 1000 km. Anyone out there experience the same thing?

I've been taking the car back to the dealer for oil consumption checks, and they've finally gotten tired of seeing me every month - they promised me a new engine. Any experience of this? Was the service good?

Any advice/comments would be most appreciated.

Peter T. Toronto, Canada

Reply to
Peter Turyk

Something is sure not right in your engine. I have had 89 and 98 Maximas they both never dropped the oil level even when using Mobil1. My advice is to try to get a replacment engine. I know this may not happen. If you can't I would quickly get rid of this oil user as things won't get better. I know this sounds tough but I have in the past tried living with problem auto and trucks and I learned it is not a good choice.

Reply to
Snakebite

Take the new engine as there is something wrong with yours. I have a

2000 Maxima and it uses no oil between changes.

Peter Turyk wrote:

Reply to
john smith

This engine should use zero oil between changes. Yours is screwed up very badly if you are using the correct oil.

That's about 600 miles to a quart. I had a VW engine that did that exact thing 25 years ago; it was in a brand new Plymouth econobox. I put up with it because I was a student, couldn't afford to take the car out of service and pay for a rental, and was also stupid. It didn't get any worse, and didn't get any better, for 79,000 miles until the car was totalled.

I was constantly having to add oil. Every other fill-up, almost.

You don't see yourself doing this for years, do you?

You are at the point where even a dealer will agree the engine must be replaced. If they give any hassle, contact the manufacturer's rep. Be sure that you are documenting each visit to the dealer, so you can try to take advantage of the motor vehicle lemon law if you need to.

JM

Reply to
jmattis

Why not... let's see..... new engine, $3000

1 extra quart oil every 600 miles for 60k mile = 100 qts oil at $4 qt = $100 or put another way: 450,000 miles to incurr $3000 in oil costs.

Hmmm... seems a tad smarter to keep puttin' the oil in.

Reply to
BuddyWh

Until it ruins cat's once a year and kill O2 sensors regularly. Good luck passing EMI with something using a Qt every 600 miles..

Reply to
Steve T

My son had no problems passing emmission exam with his '95 Mirage... went through a quart every 500 mi or so with 136,000 miles on original engine..

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Thanks for all the replies folks. I spoke with the dealer yesterday who have begun arrangements for an engine swap (under warranty!!). And yes I do document every dealer visit and oil top up - sound advice! P

Reply to
Peter Turyk

Well he's the exception but I expected no less from you as you are ALWAYS right! :-)

Most peoples cars on this planet have an working O2 sensor that sees this burnt oil as fuel, tries to lean out the fuel mixture and ends up with excessive HC (from lean misfire) and high NOX. It also will quickly overheat and coat the cat internals making it fail. Again I guess your sons car somehow doesn't follow this normal pattern for some reason, maybe because you made this up?

Reply to
Steve T

You've learnt a little in your time... but you're still an a'hole.

pl>BuddyWh wrote:

Reply to
BuddyWh

You are one arrogant little self important prick.

You have no idea how my son's car uses the oil.. it LEAKS IT YOU STUPID FOOL!!!!

Gawd, how STUPID you are. I NEVER said it "burned" it.

You are a classic example of a half-smart moron. Always lecturing like you think you are the only person who's ever worked on a car.

double pl>BuddyWh wrote:

Reply to
BuddyWh