Are car manufacturers colluding with tool manufacturers and with VW dealer stealers?

VW Mk IV 202 1.9 TDI estate bought second hand......

I do all my own car work..... did three jobs over the past 2 weeks:

I have noticed a common theme to all these 3 jobs.....

The 1st job was a Routine 12k miles service.. so that's new air, cabin, oil fuel filters and an oil change...

Oh no, Can't get the oil filter cap off to change the oil filter using my own substantial tool collection.... got to buy a "special tool" for that.... The cheapest "special tool" cost more than several oil filters!

The 2nd Job is Routine rear brake pads and discs change, first ever at

80K miles.....

Bought the rear pads and 2 rear discs... Oh no, can't push the pistons back in without a "special piston rewinding tool"... The cheapest piston rewinding tool cost more than the rear brake pads AND rear discs!

The 3rd job was rectifying a fault where there was groaning noises when steering at full lock.... I diagnosed it was a seized alternator freewheel clutch pulley. A very common fault on VW golfs apparently.

So buy a new alternator freewheel clutch pulley at 32 quid..... Oh no, none of my extensive collection of tools would get the old pulley off the alternator shaft... had to buy a "special tool".... cheapest was was

40 quid from Euro car parts. Which again costs more than the replacement part.

Is this:

(a) collusion between the manufacturers and the stealing dealers to to make novice DIY'ers loose the will to live at being unable to do the job without the right expensive tools forcing car owners into the stealing dealer's clutches?

(b) Manufacturers selling the intellectual rights to make the special tools to the likes of Laser / Pagid /Sealey etc and and still managing make a profit out of clued up/experienced/determined DIYers who do buy these "special tools" to avoid the stealer dealers?

(c) or both?

I expect I won't use the alternator or brake tool for another 80K, the oil filter not so much of an issue as I can use that again in 12K miles time.

Regards,

Stephen with a massive bank overdraft....

Reply to
Stephen H

Where's you get rear pads & disks for =A315?

As you can buy the alternator tool for a tenner there's an alternative =

explanation that someone's seen you coming...

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:48:13 +0100, Stephen H panted, in an erotic manner:

£6 on Ebay. I can only surmise you buy cheap filters!

My piston rewind kit cost £19 from Halfords. Where do you get your discs and pads so cheap? Even for my Berlingo they were 3 times that!

Is this the same 33 spline clutch pulley that needs a tool costing between £5.50 and £9 on ebay to remove it? ....

ICBW, but I'd suggest you do a bit more research on where to get tools from...

Reply to
Mike P

I have one- £5-6 online or from a local shop.

The 2nd Job is Routine rear brake pads and discs change, first ever at

£15 from ebay-

is under 17 quid, but I managed to get the pulley off a friend's MK5 Golf with an ordinary torx bit and a pipe wrench.

You're buying tools from the wrong place :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram