94 nissan maxima question

Have a 94 maxima gxe

170 v6 3.0 Had the car parked for about one month. Got it started fine....I find that the car doesn't kick in when I floor the gas pedal. I mean it car will speed up no problem......like it will go 140kms/hour in no time....but it doesn't kick in if you know what I mean. My 1990 kicked in big time......and even if I was going 100km/hr and trampled it it would kick in.

Is this normal? what problem? thanks

Reply to
Devils Advocate

by kick in you mean downshift. Best bet would be to do a tuneup, plugs & wires, pcv valve, cap & rotor and change the tranny fluid. Also clean out the throttle body and make sure the lines that pull the butterfly open are tight and dont' bind.

Reply to
Rex

Not that it's a bad idea, but what would PCV valves, spark plugs and distributor have to do with a tranny that won't kick down? I would think that simply giving the tranny a tune up would suffice, by changing the tranny fluid and tranny filter.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

what filter? there isn't an easily changeable on the max

Reply to
Brian

Sounds more like the kickdown switch isn't working, not sure if a 94 has electric kickdown or if the tranny is computer controlled on that model.

Thinking changing the fluid would fix this is wishful thinking..

Reply to
Steve T

Funny to read this. I think it is just the car. I had a 1990 GXE and sold it for a 1993 GXE. Both of the cars were purchased form the same

70 year old individual. In overall performance, the 1990 was quicker and I believe faster. It was a 4DSC. With the 1993 (same initial miles) maybe Nissan was trying to refine? I know the 160HP SOHC in both was the same VG30.

Dunno, my $0.02.

-Jay

Reply to
Jay

Well, maybe my assumption is wrong, but don't auto trannie's normally have a filter for the tranny fluid? I would think that a Maxima is no exception.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

you are correct that MOST a/ts have a filter but not all are easily changed.

Reply to
Brian

Many newer models have screens rather than the paper filters older american cars used and (especially FWD imports) these screens can't be changed without taking the tranny apart.

Reply to
Steve T

The '95 and newer Max does not have one. Not sure about '94. The easiest way to find out for sure (short of buying a service manual) is to call a dealer and see if they list a filter for it.

Reply to
E. Meyer