95 Max-Regular Gas?

I've used mid-grade gas (Canada 91 octane?) since I bought this car (only 90,000 km) new. With the price of gas skyrocketing I'd like to know two things.

  1. Does this car (GLE) have an electronic anti-knock?
  2. Can I switch to regular gas without damaging the system (including filters etc.)? I know I'd have to watch out for pre-ignition etc. but I'm really interested in the damage aspect.
Reply to
cpinnegar

Yes it has electronic anti-knock. You can switch grades and it will adjust timing to avoid damage. You can run a google groups search on this ng with the term 'knock sensor' and you'll get a pile of relevant info.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Yes, but what you lose in MPG may make it a false economy.

Reply to
JimV

And do a search, this has been answered several times in the last week.

Reply to
Steve T

Put in a tankful. If you don't notice any performance difference, your knock sensor is already shot and you weren't getting any benefit from premium. At the age of your car, it may just fall into that category.

If it turns into a dog (like 0-60 mph in 10 or 11 seconds), then you be the judge as to whether it is worth premium.

Reply to
jmattis