95 Maxima A/C Cooling Problem

I am in Georgia and A/C stopped cooling a couple of weeks ago. I let a local dealer check vehicle. Dealer added dye to check for leaks and recharged with new refrigerant. After a hard search dealer indicated evaporator was leaking and would need to be replaced to completely resolve A/C issues. Service visit was about $75.00 and my A/C is currently working good.

I was advised the evaporator could be replaced foe an additional $598 + tax. ($240.00 labor). Is replacement of the evaporator an expected maintenance item for this year vehicle? To my knowledge this the first time I had to add refrigerant in the 10+ years I have owned vehicle. What should be the expected life of the A/C compressor etc.. My vehicle is good shape with about 182 K miles.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
RK

Not exactly "expected", but not unusual since it's wet much of the time. Hard to complain after 10 years and 182K though.

Reply to
JimV