'95 Maxima knock sensor replacement

Can you replace knock sensor w/o pulling manifold? I can get my hand between engine valley and lower manifold, but some manuals say you have to pull two manifold halves.

Reply to
carfan1037

You can do it - but there is no way to accurately torque the KS bolt to the factory spec. You can get the KS bolt (12mm) loose with a 1/4" drive 12mm-swivel socket and 18" extension.

I know of many people who have successfully replaced their KS using the above tool setup without pulling any of the manifolds.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 117k
Reply to
njmodi

yep did mine about a month ago sears craftsman 12mm swivel (flex) socket & about 14" of 1/4 inch extension

hang one (looking for link) okay found it
hope this helps john

"carfan1037" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Reply to
john

Ditto all this. I creatively used a little bit of duct tape to hold the bolt in the socket when I reassembled - and worked it so that the tape stuck to the bolt head. I pulled that tape off with some really long-reach needlenose pliers.

It's about a 15" job with those tools, once you figure out how to get the torque on it. The bolt likes to stick, so don't be surprised if you feel that extension twist a little bit.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Ho, hum, mine is shot, but with sporadic good days.

This week has been great, no rhyme or reason. Timing must be all over the place. Sometimes it is a 11 second dog to 60. Man, that's slow.

At 110,400 miles, it is finally for sale as of today. Let someone else deal with it.

Torque is important to the way this sensor operates, so I guess if it doesn't work the first time, you can tighten or loosen until it does it's thing....

Reply to
jmattis

But its barely broken in! I've got 117k on mine and after some thorough wear/tear and preventative maintenance sessions over a couple of weekends, it's like new again!

What car is it being replaced with?

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 117k
Reply to
njmodi

I have an '04 Accord EX V6 bought 15 months ago, only has 4,200 miles on it now. Its very fast, safer with 6 airbags and newer design, great gas mileage on regular. I frequently travel overnight in the middle of nowhere, and just don't trust the Infiniti anymore. Depreciation and insurance on two cars has been an unwise financial investment, so one must go.

Reply to
jmattis

Did you consider a G35? :) Just curious, that's all. I would assume the G35 (with some options) would end up being pricier than the Accord....

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

yes, I went to the dealer the very day the first ones were released, I made time just before I flew out of town on business.

I did not particularly like the styling, or how narrow the car is. Some of the styling cues have been improved over time. I thought the interior looked too cheap for a $33,000+- car. I especially did not like how the engine/transmission would hang at a high rpm if I pulled off the throttle fast.

Then the real killer was that 2004's (when I went back shopping in earnest) dropped in city mpg ratings, apparently due to revised emissions management. It was galling, particularly considering the car requires premium. Let's get the mpg up, not down.

I also resented just a little how Infiniti put the options packages together. To get something simple (but required by the wife) like a lighted vanity mirror made the price go up several thousand dollars for a bunch of crap that I did not want.

Reply to
jmattis