95 Maxima SE Gearbox

I do believe my gearbox is gone.

Is there any test whereby I can determine if my gearbox is gone as apposed to my clutch?

As well, is there a way to determine if it is only the gears, and not something more drastic in the gearbox.

Thanks

Reply to
Devils Advocate

OK, what makes you say that?

Well, you could try applying the clutch and selecting each gear to see if anything happens. Does the clutch 'feel' right? Is the gearbox making any noise? Have you pulled the plug on the gearbox and looked for 'parts'?

Only the gears? I wonder what something more drastic could be in a gear box ;)

Give a bit more info if you can. What have you tried, symptoms etc.

Reply to
No One

The car now does not start bec. I am in process of doing the altenator.

The car goes in ALL gears while car is off.

When car on, no luck w/ the gears.

BTW, yes replacing gears in gearbox would be the inexpensive compared to some parts in there.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Bad clutch slave or master cylinder likely.

Reply to
JimV

If it is grinding trying to go into gear, it is probably a clutch, linkage or cylinder/s issue.

Reply to
No One