99 GLE groans after stopping

I thought I DID include your comment! I credited SOMEONE in my message. Perhaps someone else made the same suggestion, in which case allow me to thank you as well!

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

Yes indeed you did - I have the quoted text turned-off by default and didn't see which particular post you had responded to.

It wasn't credit I was after :) I just felt bad that you were trying to the find the problem for so long even after the root cause had been suggested.

Btw, that antenna is easy to fix :) Since the motor is good, it's just a 20 dollar replacement mast that you need to swap in.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Duh -- I would like to fix mast, as it's about to snap off, but looking at it I don't know how to pull it out. Any thoughts?

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

Remove the locknut at the base of the antenna and then you should be able to pry out the old mast and plastic cable. If you notice that the cable is broken, then you may need to remove the motor assembly and open it up to remove any remaining plastic cable fragments. To remove the motor assembly, look inside the trunk behind the trunk liner near the jack - there are a couple of bolts and a harness and drain hose you have to get to to get the motor assembly out. Open that up and make sure you remove any plastic cable bits - and regrease the gears while you have it open.

Then replace the motor assembly and feed in the new mast. Note: you'll need a helper to power on/off the radio while you feed in the mast.

A quick google on "power antenna mast replacement" will give you lots of leads - most cars have identical setups.

Good luck! Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

This is all very challenging for a low-skills critter like moi, but I guess I could START the process and see how far I can get.

Since I have bumper-to-bumper warranty on car -- not cheap! -- if it becomes too difficult, I might take advantage, for a $50 deductible, though the service center is not close by. I will inquire

A quick google on "power antenna mast replacement" will give you lots

Indeed! Several detailed step-by-step instructions.

Thanks; I'll need it!

BTW - could car radio still receive w/o an outside antenna? Straight question.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

You may get some reception without the external antenna since your Maxima has two antennas - one printed on the rear glass and the second one being that mast.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I've done this a couple of times (replace the mast). Once you remove the nut on top (either a needle-nosed pliers or a circlip tool will work to get it off), just turn on the radio and it will puke out the mast.

Reply to
E Meyer