Brake Shudder

I have been having trouble lately with the brakes on my 03 Maxima shuddering (especially at high speed). What do you folks know about this? Is it warped discs? I don't like the idea of having my discs re-surfaced especially for such a new car.

Reply to
Chris Barrette

Like it or not you have brake problems and from what I have read some Nissan rotors warp under hard braking also if someone that changed a tire did not torque the wheel nut to proper torque the rotors can and do warp. ronm

Reply to
ronm

Warpage is definitely your problem. It was a defect of the rotors in '00 and they haven't done much about it. At 40,000 mi on my '01 I finally gave up and installed Brembo rotors and Rabestos quiet stop pads and they are quiet and smooth. Important. This IS a warrantee item. If your dealer gives you static under warrantee, call ht 800 Nissan line and write here for further advice about how to get your money back.

But with ANY car, don't splash through puddles and slush with hot brakes.

Good luck

Reply to
Bob G.

Did you buy the Brembo gear on-line, or from a local dealer?

Did you notice the difference?

Reply to
Larry Davick

Huh? How do you avoid puddles with hot brakes? Ideal driving conditions, put the car away on rainy days? What is so sensitive about these excellent cars? Haven't they been tested and driven in all weather conditions?

Reply to
noyap

Have a different angle I have seen twice on brakes. The metallurgy is suspect, lemme 'splain.

Had a Nissan pickup and had clutch chatter from day one. The metallurgy was not consistent on the face of the fly wheel, fly wheel replaced all good.

Recently I pulled the front brakes off my girlfriends 2002 Camry due to *violent* shaking when the brakes were applied. I expected to see significant warpage, there was none. Upon looking at the driver side rotor, you could see on the inside of the rotor where the pads were grabbing and letting go (Getting 'stuck'). Not 'sliding' properly. There were blake marks on the rotor where it was chattering. Had the rotor turned and all is good, it ground off the bad areas.

So, it was not due to warpage but metallurgy inconsistencies on the brake pads would not slide (grip) progressively.

My $0.02.

-Jay.

Reply to
Jay

I second that with some more details - I measured mine and couldn't see much wobbling ( Have a different angle I have seen twice on brakes. The metallurgy is

Reply to
Mike