Can I swap manual climate controls for automatic climate controls??

97 MAXIMA

Seeing how affordable the heater A/C controls are on ebay I was wondering if I could just exchange the manual one in my car for one of these cool automatic ones. Anybody know if they will swap and connectors will fit?

Thanks

Reply to
Roger

No, you would need to swap in the entire system, not just the head. It's not even remotely worth it. The automatic ones don't work all that great anyway.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Roger

Exactly. On some of the older cars, we've actually swapped the whole systems out for manual ones because of the expence and non-avalible parts for the auto units.

Reply to
Steve T

In the 98 Max and later, they got a better auto climate control unit. It is still not worth swapping an entire system, but the cauto climates in the 98 Maximas are quite decent. They even have outside temp readings.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Even the early 300ZX ones in the 80's weren't bad, they had outside temp reading, two sensors with fans etc. By the time they got into the 90's they are pretty trouble free. The awful ones were the ones installed in the

79-83 ZX's, mostly vaccum controlled with vacuum amplifiers etc. I've never seen one that worked right after they were 2-3 years old unless someone spent a pile of money on it.
Reply to
Steve T

I agree, my first Nissan climate was on a 92 300zx and was the best auto unit I've had up to that time. Now I'm on my 3rd Max, an 01, and they have all been just as good. In fact they have helped me learn how to set a car with a manual control better by watching the way the auto system works.

David "been buying/driving Nissans back when they were Datsuns"

Reply to
David

What's interesting about the auto climate control in the 98+ Maximas, is that I think the company sourced it to sevral car manufacturers. I've seen a Mecrury Crown Victoria with what I thought was a dead ringer for the climate control in my 98 Maxima. Same buttons and symbols, even the LEDs were the same. Also I remember once when I damaged my display unit, I went to junk yards to find a replacement. What I found was that the

95-97 auto unit was a different display with 13 wires coming from the display. The 98+ had at least 30 wires. A small leap in technology used in the unit.

CD

Reply to
Codifus